Pilot ThomasLogistics (PTL) sells and transports fuel, lubricants, and petroleum chemicalsto the marine, mining, industrial and exploration industries. The Tax Manager will be responsible fortimely filing of all monthly excise and sales tax compliance returns, supervisingthe tax team and third-party tax consultant partners.
Will work with our Procurement and Commercial Operations departments todetermine proper treatment for new products and customers. Lastly, responsible for identifying potentialtax issues, researching state and local regulations, and communicating possiblesolutions in a clear and concise manner.
- Manage PTL's excise and sales tax compliance, planning and reporting activities, and timely filing of state and local licenses.
- Ensure federal, state, and local excise and sales tax returns are reported and paid in a timely manner and in compliance with regulations in 40 states.
- Manage third-party compliance partner relationship by answering day to day business questions, accounting for related tax liabilities, maintaining tax records and other related tasks.
- Responsible for reviewing, approving, and maintaining tax requirement setup in PTL systems including initial customer setup, exemptions and other operating tax settings.
- Ensure compliance and adherence to state/local regulations, including PTL holds and maintains specific operations licenses in states and local jurisdictions we operate.
- Manage state and local compliance audits and provide timely responses.
- Provide excise tax guidance to sales, logistics and other internal stakeholders, to support commercial Operations in finding and implementing compliant and workable solutions.
- Respond to inquiries and audits from taxing jurisdictions.
- Work with corporate accounting to ensure complete and accurate reconciliation of tax accrual and prepaid accounts.
- Develop and deliver quality tax planning approaches with timely and responsive services and work products that meet and/or exceed expectations.
- Build technical competence by keeping up to date on trends, developments and legislation.
- Special projects as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.