Since 1936, Pilot Thomas Logistics and its family of marine companies (collectively, "PTL Marine") including Economy Boat Store and Maxum Petroleum have been providing quality products and services to the barge transportation industry. PTL Marine is the one-stop shopping solution for all of your Marine Fuel and Lubes, Groceries, Supplies and Last-Mile Logistics needs.
The Tankerman oversees cargo transfer operations which are covered by laws and regulations of the U.S. Coast Guard and other federal and local government agencies. Provides safe, pollution-free and efficient cargo movement and transfer.
- Responsible for all equipment and products on the barge.
- Confers with and receives orders from the Pilot.
- Moves cargo from one compartment to another within the barges.
- Loads cargo to the proper barge draft.
- Maintenance of machinery on vessel and barges (pumps, pump engines, winches, etc.).
- Work with complex pumping diagrams, pumps, valves, etc.
- Respond in a safe, efficient manner to mitigate pollution or damage in any shipboard emergency (hatch overflow or holes in the barges).
- Assist with fueling operations.
- Load and unload stores for customers.
- Assist the operator on vessel inspections.
- Report any problems or discrepancies noted during daily operations.
- Security awareness and reporting.
- Chipping and painting maintenance on the boat.
- Repairs flame screens and cleans pressure vacuum valves on the barge.
- Greases winches and other equipment.
- Clean and scour the boat.
- Keep the barge clean and free of worn out or unneeded equipment.
- Ensure all equipment is properly stowed.
- Make up the tow and stand lookout.
- Compliance with the company Safety Management System (SMS), and familiar with company policies, procedures, safety rules and regulations and abide by them.
- Performs other cleaning duties as directed.
- Other general maintenance as directed.