The Tankerman oversees cargo transfer operations which are covered by laws and regulations of the U.S. Coast Guard and other federal and local government agencies. Provides safe, pollution-free and efficient cargo movement and transfer.
- Responsible for all equipment and products on the barge.
- Confers with and receives orders from the Pilot.
- Moves cargo from one compartment to another within the barges.
- Loads cargo to the proper barge draft.
- Maintenance of machinery on vessel and barges (pumps, pump engines, winches, etc.).
- Work with complex pumping diagrams, pumps, valves, etc.
- Respond in a safe, efficient manner to mitigate pollution or damage in any shipboard emergency (hatch overflow or holes in the barges).
- Assist with fueling operations.
- Load and unload stores for customers.
- Assist the operator on vessel inspections.
- Report any problems or discrepancies noted during daily operations.
- Security awareness and reporting.
- Chipping and painting maintenance on the boat.
- Repairs flame screens and cleans pressure vacuum valves on the barge.
- Greases winches and other equipment.
- Clean and scour the boat.
- Keep the barge clean and free of worn out or unneeded equipment.
- Ensure all equipment is properly stowed.
- Make up the tow and stand lookout.
- Compliance with the company Safety Management System (SMS), and familiar with company policies, procedures, safety rules and regulations and abide by them.
- Performs other cleaning duties as directed.
- Other general maintenance as directed.